Be Eager to Do What is Right

BCXR28

The book of Isaiah describes God’s servant as “eager to do what is right.” The Hebrew reads, more literally, “He will . . . be quick [to do] righteousness.” When we remember that righteousness means right relationships, we recognize that Jesus calls us to prioritize addressing broken or strained relationships. It’s not easy, and often we’d rather put off the hard work and vulnerability of seeking to mend our relationships.

For example, when our urge is to ignore or hide conflict with others at work, we must instead acknowledge the conflict and talk with the people involved (not gossip with others). When we would rather keep it to ourselves, we should ask wise people for help in getting started (in humility, not in hopes of gaining an upper hand). When we would rather build a case against our rival, we should instead build a case for them, or at least acknowledge whatever their good points are. If we have done wrong, we should admit it and ask for forgiveness. When we have been wronged, we should forgive. And when we think we don’t have the energy to engage the other person, but would rather just write off the relationship, we must let God’s power and patience substitute for our own.

In this we seek to imitate our Lord, who “emptied himself” of personal agendas and so received the power of God to live out God’s will in the world. If we do these things, then our conflict can be resolved in terms of what the true issues are, rather than our projections, fears and resentments. Usually this leads to a restored working relationship and mutual respect, if not friendship. Even in the unusual cases where no reconciliation is possible, we can expect a surprising “peace of God, which surpasses all understanding.” It is a sign that even a broken relationship is not beyond the hope of God’s goodness.

Prayer
Gracious Lord, it’s hard sometimes to initiate reconciliation. I don’t like conflict; I often would rather avoid and deny than be quick to do what’s right. Forgive me when I delay doing the right thing. Help me be eager to do what is right and quick to obey. Amen.

1632958332859.png