Find Your Play

BCXR28

Play is not just for kids. If you are under pressure at work, a playful spirit can lead to balance, creativity and good health. Play relieves stress, increases physical and mental fitness, and introduces new ways of learning. Play reminds us how it feels to be a child—innocent, everything new. God is inviting us to play each time he points our hearts to beauty.

An article entitled “The Importance of Play for Adults” turns to psychiatrist Dr. Stuart Brown for a definition of play. The focus of play, Dr. Brown observes, is “on the actual experience, not on accomplishing a goal” and the activity “is needless.” You do it for fun, he says.

In our hyper-productive world, we need to learn how to play again. Play is not a one-size-fits-all pursuit. If we’ve been “all work and no play” for months on end, we’ll need to experiment to find what fits us.

Are you the type to belt out ‘90s tunes, take your dogs for a walk, or meet up with a friend for coffee? Find your play. Let it work in you to remind you how to be like a little child. Though we mature in our faith, in some ways we must remember to become like little children. After all, “the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

Prayer
Lord, I know you didn’t intend for me to live a life dictated by work. Help me recognize the ways I can find small moments of joy, rest and play in my hectic life. Help me be refreshed. Amen.

FB_IMG_1638018620206.jpg