How You Respond Matters 

BCXR28

Pause

When adversity strikes, we have a choice to either give into our emotions or hit pause. To think that, because we are Christians, we should be able to respond to everything that comes at us at work with poise at the onset is unreasonable. Neither is it a good idea to jump into action immediately since it is not likely we’ll give our best response. We all have emotions – they were created by God! – but they don’t have to have us or control us. We need healthy strategies for processing through our emotions. Pausing puts your primal “threat” response in check and enables you to respond from a place of peace.

Pray

After we pause, we need to reset. Esther fasted and prayed along with her community for three days. That allowed Esther to reset and gain the courage she needed to approach the king. For Celia, after her reaming out she spent a long evening processing her anger, soul searching and in prayer. The next day, Celia was prepared to respond confidently to the vice chairman. Praying helps you gain the clarity necessary to determine what to do and the courage to do it.

God wants us to seek Him for wisdom and to trust Him through the storms. When we bring Him our needs in prayer, He can then strengthen us and guide us to take the best course of action. 

Process 

Scripture helps us to know what God says about the situation and gives us the wisdom we need. As we consistently read God’s Word, we will find it easier and easier to shift from fear to faith quickly. Fear often comes from not knowing how it will all turn out, but we can trust the One who does – God. God uses adversity to strengthen our faith and create stories that inspire others to turn to Him and trust Him as well. 

Leaning on God helps us avoid being paralyzed by fear and gives us the courage and confidence to take bold, Holy Spirit-inspired action.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to remember to pause and pray when adversity strikes, knowing you are there waiting for me to simply turn to You. I thank You that You hear my prayers, You give me strength and You show me the way. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

FB_IMG_1635810083915.jpg