Be a Good Samaritan at Work

BCXR28

In Luke 10:25-37 Jesus expands upon the Great Commandment to include a parable that answers the question “who is my neighbor?” The story of the Good Samaritan provides us with insights for both life and work.

The Good Samaritan was a successful businessman. He likely traveled the trade route often, and was deemed trustworthy enough by the innkeeper to demand services on credit. He was successful enough to be able to afford oil and wine for medicinal purposes and lodging at an inn for a complete stranger. Perhaps his success was a result of his kindness.

It turns out that treating coworkers well is good for business. Arthur Demoulas, CEO of the chain of groceries Market Basket, made it a point to treat his workers well. He paid them well over the minimum wage and refused to scrap the company’s profit-sharing plan even in an economic downturn.

He forged direct connections with his workers, learning the names of as many of his 25,000 employees as possible. When Market Basket’s board of directors fired Arthur Demoulas in 2014, due in large part to his generosity, the employees of the supermarket went on strike in support of their leader. Workers refused to stock the shelves until Arthur Demoulas regained control of the company. It was the first instance ever of workers organizing to choose their own CEO, and it was fueled by Arthur Demoulas’ self-sacrificing generosity.

At work we have many chances to show this sort of self-sacrificial love to our coworkers. Being a Good Samaritan in the workplace means cultivating a specific awareness of the needs of others. Are there people in your workplace who are being robbed in some way, perhaps of recognition or promotion?

A Christian should be the one to point out their contributions. Or if you see one or your coworkers struggling with a project, stop what you’re doing and help them. Connect them with someone else who can help. This is what the Good Samaritan does to love his neighbor.

Prayer
Lord, help me be a Good Samaritan in my workplace today. Bless me with success in my work and give me the opportunity to use that success for others. Amen.

FB_IMG_1635118948246.jpg