Conflict with Coworkers

BCXR28

If God intends us to work in helpful relationships with others, where do we go wrong? According the book of Proverbs, a lot of strife creeps into our working relationships when we talk about coworkers behind their backs.

Work often brings together people with different skills from different cultural backgrounds. This is good for building a diverse team able to handle many types of challenges. But it often also leads to conflict. How we deal with workplace conflict determines whether we work in a loving environment or an energy-sapping one.

When we have a conflict with a coworker we are often tempted to unburden ourselves on some other friendly ear. But many verses in the bible caution against such talk. While we think it will make us feel better, talking maliciously about a coworker often prolongs a fight rather than resolves it.

Gossip casts other people in a questionable light by raising doubts about their integrity. The gossiper elevates his or her own status at the expense of others who are not present to speak for themselves. This casts a shadow over anyone else in the office who might as a result of the gossip feel guarded and suspicious. Instead of ending a conflict, gossip amplifies it.

A better way of dealing with workplace conflict is laid out in Matthew 18:15-16. If you have an issue with one of your coworkers, it is best to talk it over in person when the two of you are alone. This gives you both a chance to clarify your positions and clear up misunderstandings.

If you have not solved the conflict after a one-on-one chat, hold a small meeting with one or two additional people. Other coworkers may have different insights into the conflict and useful perspectives on ways to solve it.

Conflict occurs in most coworker relationships. It takes courage and humility to deal with conflict head on. Yet, when you follow the advice of scripture, you create a better environment where everyone is happy to work.

Prayer
God, you see the conflict in my workplace. Give me strength to heal my work relationships. Guard my tongue against gossip and slander. I put my trust in you. Amen.

FB_IMG_1634773128502.jpg

• Love 1