Remember Me 

BCXR28

Nehemiah returned to find the work he had done to restore the people’s relationship with God spoiled by failed leadership. Nehemiah undoubtedly wrestled with despair as he pushed against the system. As he redemptively engaged the failures, he constantly prayed to God, “Remember me.” 

When we lead in the midst of failure, we push against the way things are. But when we push the system, it pushes back — the more effort we put in to improve matters, the more effort seems to be required. In times like this it is tempting to say and do the things that look good or please the boss because, at least initially, it looks and feels better. But that “better” makes things worse eventually. 

To remain fully engaged with our teams and organizations, our hearts must be managed by the peace of God in the midst of chaos. Leading in the midst of failure reveals our frailty, our limits, and our deep need for God’s presence. 

It is in times like this that we need to ask God to remember us. The Psalmist gives us a better picture of what Nehemiah is alluding to in his prayers: “For he knows how weak we are; he remembers we are only dust.” Other translations say, “he knows our form.” God sees us in our difficult situations with soft eyes. Just as a mother looks at her needy infant and feels compelled to hold, soothe, and provide for her, God looks at us and is compelled to act.

God knows your form. He will carry you through to the end. Paul tells us that God works in you and gives you both the desire and the power to do what He is calling you to do. When we stay connected with God at work, He will not only give us the desire to lead amidst failure, but also the power and ability to accomplish what He is calling us to do. We only need enough faith to persevere in connecting to God.

Prayer

Father, I often feel like I have to hide my weaknesses and frailty. I forget I don’t have to do that with you. Thank you that I can bring my weary and heavy-laden self to receive your deep rest. Fill me with the desire and ability to finish the race you have called me to run to completion. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

FB_IMG_1634514251004.jpg

• Love 1