Shift in Privilege

BCXR28

You’ve probably heard the phrase “membership has its privileges.” It’s common to strive for a promotion because of the privileges that come with it – first class tickets, a company car, access to a large expense account. Granted, these privileges make a leader’s long, hard work hours a bit more enjoyable. But when we seek those privileges for our own indulgence, it can lead us down a very slippery slope.

As a Pharisee, and one who was highly respected, Paul had privileges extended to him. He could have traveled on Jerusalem’s dime, and protected himself from hardship and persecution. But he put those privileges aside for the sake of sharing the Gospel. As a result, Paul was poor, persecuted and thrown in prison. Yet Jesus appeared to Paul in prison. Jesus encouraged Paul and let him know he would testify about Christ in Rome, the seat of influence in the ancient world. Paul went from using his privileges for his own comfort to leveraging them so he could reach more people for Christ. 

Moving up the corporate ladder provides us with greater influence, more resources, access to other leaders and opportunities to influence change. You can use those privileges for yourself, or you can leverage them to serve others. 

Paul used his privilege as a Roman citizen, not for himself, but to share the good news of Jesus Christ with others. He put his own interests aside, and even put his life on the line, to serve. Are you using your privileges to serve your own interests? Or do you seek opportunities to use them to serve others? How can you use the privileges you have been given to help someone at work and influence others for Christ?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, thank you for the success and favor you have given me. Help me never forget that it all comes from you. Lord help me to see opportunities to use what privileges and resources I have, not to serve myself, but to serve others. I pray that I am able to help others succeed in their work and succeed in seeing You. Help me to be an encouragement to someone else today. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

FB_IMG_1633732337830.jpg