The Power of a Faith Marker 

BCXR28

What do you do when your boss asks you to do something that steps over the boundaries of your faith? For Daniel, dietary restrictions were a marker of his relationships with God. This faith marker was both private and public. Daniel founded his private identity on the commandments that God gave the Jewish people. At the same time, eating or abstaining was a public act. Eating from the king’s table might be seen as a rejection of Daniel’s God and homeland. Furthermore, it could be seen as an embrace of Babylon and its ideals, which Daniel wanted to keep at arm’s length even as he worked for the prosperity of his new city.

Daniel set a boundary around this faith marker while at the same time working with his supervisor to prove the merits of a theological strategy. Daniel suggested his supervisor test whether a faith-based diet yielded better results. This satisfied both Daniel’s boundary and the demands of his organization (to keep the exiles healthy and strong). After ten days, Daniel’s supervisor witnessed the improved results that came from applying God’s wisdom to Babylon’s leadership training program. He then applied the wisdom of God to the entire organization. 

Holding strong to a constant marker of faith helps believers avoid the slow creep of assimilation. What’s more, God’s ways work best. God designed the world to function a certain way. When we act in accordance with God’s laws, we not only grow closer to Him, we also optimize our potential for good decisions.

Next time you are faced with a decision that challenges your faith, search Scripture to see what God would have you do, and set a firm boundary that you can apply consistently to your work. God’s power may indeed transform your organization.

Prayer

Father, Your ways are not our ways, nor are Your thoughts our thoughts. Help me to seek Your thoughts and ways today in my work. Give me the confidence and conviction that Your ways are better than mine or my company’s. Lastly, give me the courage to apply Your ways to my work so that Your power is put on display for all to see. In the mighty name of Jesus. Amen.

FB_IMG_1633129000085.jpg