We’re Not in Jerusalem Anymore

BCXR28

Daniel was enlisted in the king’s training program. He knew he wasn’t in Jerusalem anymore. He could no longer expect that his faith would align with his new organization’s culture and values. He couldn’t expect to be comfortable, secure, or in control. He had to change his mindset.

Studying the astrology and magic of the Babylonians must have been odious to Daniel. And yet he embraced the education, knowing that it would make him useful to his new organization. He needed to adopt a new mindset—an exilic mindset. He could expect discomfort, insecurity and risk, and trust God to protect his faith. As an exile, his new motto was, “Expect trials. Bless in response.” 

Christians in the modern workplace have much in common with Daniel. In fact, Jesus said in Acts 1:8 that he was sending us out as exiles into our places of work. We should expect trials because of our faith, and prepare to bless in response.

Jesus doesn’t send us out empty-handed. He said that we would receive power to be his witnesses when the Spirit comes into us. But we can’t get that power without going into exile. Daniel’s story teaches a surprising truth: God’s power comes through trials. So as you go to work tomorrow, think like an exile. Expect trials. But nevertheless, respond by serving and blessing others. You’ll find new power to make your work and your company succeed. 

Prayer

Father, You gave Your Son resurrection power when he faced the greatest trial ever: the crucifixion. You promise that same power will come to me as I face my trials with Your power and presence. As I start my day, prepare my mind and heart for the trials that will inevitably come my way. Give me the courage to face them like Jesus, knowing that resurrection power awaits me at the end. Thank You for what You are going to do today in me through my trials. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

FB_IMG_1633044779618.jpg