Duterte to politicians: 'Let people vote freely' in 2019 polls

ayarei09

MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday appealed to politicians to "let the people vote freely" and avoid resorting to violence in the upcoming midterm elections in May.

Speaking in Tagaytay City, Duterte said he was even willing to help out politicians who have poor chances at victory, adding that he would not align with a particular party.

"Itong mga pulitiko (To politicians), I’m just appealing to you to let the people vote freely. Wala lang tayong (We should not have) terrorism," Duterte said in a speech in Tagaytay City, where he campaigned for the senatorial bid of his former political adviser, Francis Tolentino.

"Kung kandidato ka, tagilid ka, 'wag mong i-terorismo. Tawagin mo ako, kampanyahan kita. Wala akong partido. Sabihin ko 'pag hindi nanalo itong kandidato ko, patayin ko kayong lahat dito. Takutan na lang pero 'wag mong totohanan," said the President, chair of the ruling PDP-Laban party.

(If you're a losing candidate, don't terrorize [your opponent]. Call me, I will campaign for you. I have no party. I'll just say that if you don't win, I'll kill them all. Just to scare them, but don't make it real.)

The President's statement came in the wake of AKO Bicol Partylist Rep. Rodel Batocabe's slay, who was planning to challenge reelectionist mayor Carlwyn Baldo for the Daraga mayoralty in May.

Link: 

This is the hidden content, please

Courtesy of Gillan Ropero and Arianne Merez, ABS-CBN News